Happy August! August is my favorite month of the year for about a bajillion reasons. The weather is great, it has my birthday (on Sunday!), and I start work in ten days!
I’ve been dealing with a pretty nasty case of writer’s block, but I think the new month will be a great cure for that.
Around the Internet
- The Hardest Part of Traveling Nobody Talks About: a really relatable read, given my current living situation.
- Don’t forget about your pets when planning for hot weather! (This is a bonus because I took that great picture of MY dog!).
- Otters like water slides and I like otters a lot.
- Margot Adler, journalist for NPR for over three decades, passed away this week. I was interviewed by her back in 2010, when UAlbany’s language programs were cut. She was professional and kind and will be sorely missed.
- My favorite strip from one of my favorite blogs this week: Crimes Against Hugh’s Manatees.
- My mother made me watch this because I didn’t know who the Solid Gold Dancers were. It’s full of very bad 70s dancing and awful Village People outfits.
- Our family has a tradition. Every year since my second birthday, I’ve had an ice cream cake from Holy Cow. It’s my favorite part. It’s only a bonus that the Huffington Post said it was one of the best ice cream shops in America.
- I like traveling. A lot. I also enjoy taking pictures while going over bridges. (This is the Rip Van Winkle bridge over the Hudson River.
- You don’t call a woman with a prosthetic leg “fake.” That’s what viewers of the Real Housewives of New York learned from Aviva’s tantrum.
- Jimmy Fallon and Julia Roberts throw clear plastic balls at each other and it’s absolutely hilarious.
- I spent ten months serving in AmeriCorps NCCC FEMA Corps. Today, they rolled out a great annoucement that you can now choose what campus you serve with! (I’d still pick the Atlantic Region because my Unit Leader and Team Leader were absolutely incredible and I wouldn’t trade that for anything.)